Friday, May 31, 2013

Swimsuit Malfunctions and Other Joys of Summertime

Today we had a pool playdate with a friend from D's preschool class.  We went to his pool because his mom has 3 kids - the oldest being 4 - and logistically it was easier.  For the love of all things holy, I don't know how she does it.  I can barely manage getting ready for the pool and keeping my one child from drowning, much less two preschoolers and a baby.  Schnikeys.  Anyhow, I decided to wear my most conservative looking swimsuit because I'd never been to this pool before, and didn't want to offend anyone or feel out of place in a bikini.  Seriously.  I know that sounds weird, but it's just one of those anomalies of motherhood.  Not 5 minutes after we got into the pool did I have a swimsuit malfunction.  The strap on my top broke - the actual plastic piece that hooks into the fabric on the back - and suddenly my conservative swimsuit was far from conservative.  Thank goodness we were the only ones in the pool at the time!  The other mom had to hand me her baby and tie a double knot in my swimsuit to keep it up.  It was like wearing a corset.  I could barely breathe.  When I finally took it off after we got home, I had deep red lines around my back and chest where the elastic was searing into my skin.  Fun times.

On the way home from the pool, D told me he had water in his ears and asked if he could use toothpicks to get it out.  Sure kid, whatever works.  But you might wanna try Q-Tips first.

Why the heck did I tell D earlier today that he can NOT, under any circumstances, take a nap today?  Well, I told him because I need to get him to bed insanely early tonight since we are waking up before the crack of dawn to run a race in the morning.  But now it's 3pm and I can barely hold my eyes open - where are those toothpicks? - and I'm regretting the no-nap mandate.  Because Mama needs one.  Bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment